Thursday, November 4, 2010

Eats...

Hi,
I figured now would be a good time to talk about things relating to food...

Esteli has a decent variety of places to eat... they even have a restaurant that serves the Nicaraguan form of Chinese food... the sweet and sour chicken is just chicken, with pineapple sauce... or something...


This is what you call typical Nicaraguan food.  This is what you find at a fritanga, meaning place that sells fried foods...not the healthiest, but definitely delish...
1. Ya gotch ur chicken
2. Gallo Pinto... an epic form of fried rice and beans that taste incredible...I've gotta learn how to make it    someday...
3. In the bag are tajadas, or fried plantain chips...they are great to have with the gallo pinto.
4. Maduro: sweet, soft, plantain... good stuff

The four of these items together as a meal is just a delicious combination... so that's typical Nica food...

O and that orange drank you see there in the bottle.... that's called Squiz, which is hands down my favorite drink here...

Stole this pic from another blog, (sorry I didn't have any pics of this stuff)... This is a plate of the Carne Desmenuzada, at my absolute favorite place to eat for lunch in Esteli, Deliciosas Loco... yea, Crazy Delicious...This plate and a drink costs 60 cordobas, which is about three dollars... I've been at this place so many times the lady knows me and brings me my food right away... pretty awesome

This sad looking pile of slop is my attempt at making french toast.... it was horrendous.. I think it was the bread.... I want to take this moment and say thanks to my awesome sister n law Lianna who told me the right way to make french toast...
Point is, I'm not much of a cook and being here, I'm gonna have to learn to make some decent dishes.

And no, I haven't been living off just ramen...

This was our first night that we decided to make an actual dinner and sit down and eat it together, which doesn't happen too often... we usually do our own thing... but this was nice.  This was Jordan's form of chicken fingers and french fries... and we watch movies often when we eat...

Here's Jordan in his glory, enjoying his chicken chunks and bbq sauce...
 
There are several cafes in Esteli... this one is owned by a Sister, called Juice Bar.... or pronounced, "yusvar"...
After service one day I got an amazing pineapple and coconut smoothie for 25 cords... or $1.25...delish...

I still have yet to go here, only 'cuz it's not in our territory... but I found it and was excited... Mocha Nana Cafe.  This place makes me think of Aldo's back home... Story time: My first time at Aldo's, Aldo gave me a double expresso and told me to drink the intense stuff to make me a man because I said I've never had coffee before...

This is one of the two main super markets we go to for groceries, called Pali...

And now it's time to talk about, The System..............

yea that's right.... I eat raisins... I've grown to love them actually
I brought down post-it notes for some reason... and decided to make this system ... the order of the system never changes...

Phil - Orange
Jordan - Green
Jason - Yellow
Communal - Pink

This is the order of which we wash the dishes, buy communal items, and clean and mop the floors...

 Also, these post-its are on our own assigned cabinets where we put our own food we wish to buy...

Phil and Jordan still make fun of me for asserting the system upon them, but I think they're starting to grow appreciative of it...


That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment